Institute for Community Action Training (ICAT) helps participants mobilize the arts as a vehicle for social change.
Spend a weekend learning time-tested tools to start, build, and expand your own arts and social justice program! Applications are open to dance and social service professionals.
ICAT participants will leave with:
- In-depth knowledge of our four-part program model (details below)
- A working understanding of intimate partner violence and other prevalent social issues
- Techniques to effectively engage target populations and communities
- Tangible workshop aids and resources (sample exercises, session structures, and Take Care Cards™)
- Tips/tools for creating successful partnerships
- Necessary skills for starting/expanding your own arts and social justice program
Our workshops follow a unique four-part progression that reflects the Company’s artistic process:
1. Look Inside: Reflect. Movement and creativity foster reflection and self-awareness that lead to greater self-confidence.
2. Speak Through Movement: Express. Movement and creativity encourage choice and decision-making. These activities help participants listen to their inner voices, express their feelings, and assert their identities.
3. Work Together: Collaborate. Moving and creating in a group is an enriching experience with valuable social and artistic rewards. Working together validates the experiences of every member of the group and helps to banish feelings of isolation and fear.
4. Take Care™: Dancers share state-of-the-art tools for stress reduction and self-care drawn from extensive training in dance, bodywork, and somatic practices.
The application for the June 2018 Institute for Community Action Training is now open. Applications are due by Thursday, May 24 at 2:00 pm.
June 21 – 24
Limited Scholarships Available
For more information, please contact:
Yasemin Ozumerzifon, Senior Company & Community Action Manager
Gibney 280 Broadway (Entrance at 53 Chambers)
New York, NY 10007
Phone: 646 837 6809
this was a great workshop that left me feeling prepared & ready to take action in my community.