Gibney’s NYC winter Study program offers one two-week session each january.
The Winter Study curriculum is designed to serve professional or aspiring professional dancers, and taught by esteemed members of the NYC dance field. Participants will join a diverse community of artists pursuing their passion in one of the greatest cities in the world.
Program participants will take 30-35 classes over the course of two weeks, chosen from Gibney’s open class offerings. Students will take classes in Contemporary, Ballet, Somatic Practices, and Creative Exploration, and we encourage program participants to try all offerings at Gibney. Students take classes alongside professional dancers, as well as a Creative Process course for program participants only.
Winter Study students will also attend panel discussions with artists active in the field, attend discussions with other participants, see a number of performances at Gibney and other venues throughout New York City, and have access to Gibney’s wide-ranging artist services programs. Students who complete the NYC Winter Study program will receive a Certificate of Completion.
Program Class Schedule Breakdown:
- 8 Daily Technique Classes in Contemporary Forms, Ballet, Simonson, African Dance
- 4 Creative Process Classes, closed to NYC Winter Study Students
- 8 Physical Inquiry & Somatic Practices Classes
- 4 Creative Exploration Classes in Gaga, The Playground, or Contact Improvisation
- Up to 10 Electives from any of our class offerings
NYC Winter Study is for students ages 18 and up.
Gibney’s Training programs aim to create opportunities for dace artists to learn and share. By employing a wide range of talented faculty representing diverse styles, students are able to enjoy creative and movement potential daily. Training programs are intended to be welcoming, supportive, and provide a safe environment for adult students of all abilities to take risks and grow. View our current class schedule here →
Class offerings are balanced across five areas of concentration that radiate from internal exploration to external engagement:
- Physical Inquiry & Somatic Practices
- Daily Technique
- Creative Exploration & Improvisation
- Performative Techniques & Composition
- Community Engagement & Audience Development
Gibney’s world-renowned faculty includes teaching artists from the city’s most exciting Contemporary companies. Additional classes are programmed in partnership with several organizations, including:
- Cumbe: Center for African & Diaspora Dance
- Jose Limon Foundation
- Kinected Pilates
- Movement Research
- New Dance Collective/Simonson Technique
- The Joyce Theater
- The Playground/NYC